SMSC and British Values
What is SMSC?
SMSC is about developing the whole person. As our pupils move through the school, we are committed to developing not only their academic standards and levels of achievement, but also their spiritual, moral, social and cultural awareness. We aim to provide opportunities for our children to form their own identity; sense of place and purpose, giving them the confidence to question and discover who they are in the world and face the exciting challenges that lie ahead. Being a faith school adds another dimension to our SMSC provision as our Catholic ethos permeates all aspects of school life and underpins our values and mission.
British values are embedded in the work of the school and they are defined as:
- The rule of law
- Individual liberty
- Mutual respect
- Tolerance of those of different faiths and beliefs
What does SMSC stand for and how can you see it in our school:
- We give students the opportunity to explore values and beliefs, including religious beliefs, and the way in which they affect peoples’ lives.
- We give students the opportunity to understand human feelings and emotions, the way they affect people and how an understanding of them can be helpful.
- We encourage students to relate their learning to a wider frame of reference- for example, asking ‘why?’ ‘how?’ and ‘where?’ as well as ‘what?’.
- We provide a clear moral code as a basis for behaviour which is promoted consistently through all aspects of the school through our GOOD TO BE GREEN system.
- We promote measures to prevent discrimination on the basis of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age and other criteria.
- We encourage students to take responsibility for their actions; for example, respect for property, care of the environment, and developing codes of behaviour.
- We provide models of moral development through our curriculum and embedded into our acts of Collective Worship.
- We foster a sense of community, with common, inclusive values which ensure that everyone, irrespective of ethnic origin, nationality, gender, ability, sexual orientation and religion can flourish.
- We help students develop personal qualities which are valued in a society, for example, thoughtfulness, honesty, respect for difference, moral principles, independence, interdependence, self-respect.
- We provide a conceptual and linguistic framework within which to understand and debate social issues.
- We encourage students to work together co-operatively.
- We provide opportunities for students to explore their own cultural assumptions and values.
- We present authentic accounts of the attitudes, values and traditions of diverse cultures.
- We extend students’ knowledge and use of cultural imagery and language, recognising and nurturing particular gifts and talents.
- We provide opportunities for students to participate in literature, drama, music, art and craft based activities.
SMSC permeates the curriculum and approaches to teaching and learning through the whole school ethos.